Saturday, September 1, 2012

underwear drawer meltdown


So, last month…right around the time when work was a bit more stressful than normal and details of “the move” were in full swing…I had a slight breakdown.

Up until this point, I was actually quite proud of myself for handling “the move” well. I had handled the details extremely calm and peacefully – but, the calm wore off quite quickly.

I’m not usually a crier unless I’m stressed to the ultimate max…or overly exhausted. Both of these happened to fall together at the same time.

The night before this had happened, Brent and I'd had a “discussion”…which didn’t end well. In the Warren household we don’t always abide by the whole “don’t go to bed angry” thing…people, sometimes its necessary to sleep it off.

So, the next morning, we made up and then I asked him to be honest with me about something. If there’s anything neither of us have a hard time being, that’s honest. Don’t ask us what we think if you don’t really want to hear it – because we will tell you.

Any other time I would have been fine hearing it…but not this time.

After he told me “the truth”…I walked away and headed back to our room to finish getting ready for the day. I headed to the underwear drawer – you know, the basic necessity to face the day.

I opened it, looked inside, and before I knew it I could feel the welling up begin…

I tried to talk myself out of it, “Ashley, seriously?! You’re going to lose it over this?” “For gosh sakes, you’re going to lose it right here in your underwear drawer?”

And people, yes I did! And we’re talking the ugly kind of crying. I don’t think I’ve cried like that since I was a kid.

About that time, Brent comes walking around the corner and starts to ask me a question, “Hey babe, do you know whhh (GASP)…BABE!!!…WHAT HAPPENED?!?!”

It was so bad I couldn’t even answer him. I had liquid flowing from every orifice on my face. To quote my friend, Margo, it was “WHOAH BAD.”

He was extremely precious and sat on the bed and held me why I continued to make an even bigger mess on his shoulder…until I finally got the words out. Not even sure if they made sense…but he pretended to understand.

Thank God for him.

When they say moving is a crisis…it’s so true. So there you have it – sometimes you lose it in your car, your bathroom (you know, so you can watch yourself ugly cry and say, “I did my best, I did my best!!!”)…and apparently sometimes even in your underwear drawer. And you know what? It’s ok. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment