Friday, September 7, 2012

Trader Joe's


I’ve actually never been inside a Trader Joe’s until we moved to Nashville. They had just opened one in Ft. Worth a couple of months ago, but I never braved it. Word on the street was that the lines were out the door and if you parked anywhere other than the parking lot, they were towing cars left and right.

I had been quite fine with my Central Market. I calculated that have probably been going to the one in Southlake at LEAST once a week since it opened. I can honestly say no grocery store has ever made me happy. In fact, I have always dreaded going. Up until Central Market opened.

It was my happy place. And once I went gluten-free 2 years ago, it became even MORE of a happy place. I have lots of special memories in that one in Southlake. Memories with my former roomies (we’d pack up and head there and do our grocery shopping together) and our favorite cashier, Carlos, memories with my mom – she even embarrassed me once in front of “hot guy”…never did get his name.

And my sweetest memory of all is telling my husband, when we were dating, that I loved him for the first time.

You see, we had only been dating a couple of weeks before he said he loved me. Homeboy didn’t play around. For the first time in my life – I didn’t say the words right back. I actually looked him dead in the eye, and rather than say the words back, before I could stop myself, I said, “I’m going to have to think about that.” And you know what? He looked me right in the eye and said, “I understand. Take all the time you need.” Yep, I love that man.

So one day, a week later, after we spent the whole day together – we pulled into the Central Market parking lot and before we got out, I said, “I need to tell you something.” . . . “I love you.” No pomp and circumstance, no fireworks, no angels singing “Hallelujah.” Just the sweet realization that you would never say those words to any other love interest for the rest of your life – except that person – the love of your life.

Ok, this is getting too serious because it’s making me tear up.

Remember how I said moving is a crisis? Still true.

So I say all that to pick up a few days later when I went to Trader Joe’s. Central Market is a Texas thing. Now more than ever, oh how I wish they would branch out. Believe me, my prayer life has just increased.

People had told me that Trader Joe’s was even better – but THEY LIED!

Brent and I walk in (he’s sweet like that to do the shopping with me)…and as we start walking around, I get overwhelmed. Aisle after aisle I start to realize how DIFFERENT it actually is. And then I’m so thankful I had made a last minute run to Central before I left. You should have seen the look on Brent’s face when I brought grocery bags home to my parents for him to somehow fit into our already full car (sheepish grin).

I walk down the next aisle and am overcome with immense sadness. Brent sees it and asks me if I’m ok. I respond, “I’m just so sad. It’s so stupid…but I miss my Central Market. I could even start crying”

“It’s not stupid, it’s ok. It was your place – you knew where everything was.” (Again, love that man.)

So we head up the next aisle, him looking at one side and me looking at the other. And all of a sudden, the welling up begins (I’m now really familiar with the feeling). I turn my head so no one sees me, because MY GOSH, I’m in the middle of a grocery store. And there are HIPPIES all around me?!? I didn’t fear them seeing me as much as I feared them stopping and giving me a hug.

Brent turns to ask me a question and double takes – and before I know it, with one step – he moves from one side of the large aisle to the other where I am and just holds me while I cry. In the middle of a grocery store. I thought the underwear drawer was bad – I think this was worse.

Through the hiccups, I just kept saying, “This is so stupid – but I miss it. I miss it so bad.”

He continued to hold me, unsure of what to do next. But asked if there was another store we could go to.

(Hiccup)…”I think there is a Whole Foods Market around the corner.”

“YES! Whole Foods, let’s go!”

I think he was even willing to call Central Market and have them deliver, STAT.

We found the Whole Foods, and although it wasn’t the same – it will do for now – until I get my first care package in the mail from my mom and sister. And Thanksgiving, you better believe I will be stocking up!

Trader Joe’s on the other hand. All hype. No thanks. I love my Central Market way better.

P.S. I’ll try and make the next post about something other than breaking down. : )

No comments:

Post a Comment