Wednesday, June 2, 2010

spatially-challenged

I don’t think I’ve mentioned I’m specially-challenged. That’s a nice way of saying I’m not very good at parking.

I drive great…well…maybe a little too fast as stated before…but the only problem I seem to have…and this has been a problem since day one of driving, is parking. I don’t know what it is…but I get panicky if the other person is over the line, touching the line or even an inch too close to the line. I have gotten myself “stuck” a time or two. Now one might ask, “How in the world do you get yourself stuck?” I’m not really sure I can answer that. All I know, my sister has been called a time or two to come get me out of the pickle I’ve gotten myself in to. I’ll play it out for you, so you can experience the emotions…

This particular instance happened in the Target parking lot. PS by the way, women there have been known to steal parking spots…gotta watch your back…just sayin. So one Sunday afternoon I decided to pop by Target and pick up a few things. I pull in the parking lot…and there is a prime spot right by the door. This said spot has a curb on one side and only one car on the other. That means I only have one car to worry about. The person is angled and a little too close to the line…but I attempt anyway. I start pulling in and then begin to panic I’ve cut it too short. So I start to back out and start over, but the way I’ve angled myself in there, it looks like I’m about to side swipe the car next to mine, hop the curb and possibly hit the car behind me. How you ask, I’m not really sure. Right about this time is when the heart rate increases, blood pressure rises, palms start sweating and I panic. It’s really quite silly. I call my sister, who has just lain down for a nap, and after begging and bribery, make her come help me. In the mean time, I am half way in/half way out of this parking place and people are staring. Some think I’m backing out, so they wait for me to get the spot, I have to wave them on. Others are waiting to walk behind, again I have to wave them on. Then others are just staring and pointing. Lovely. This is when I pretend I’m on a very important phone call…don’t judge…you know you’ve done it too, especially when you see someone in public you don’t want to talk to.

Finally Allyson comes, directs me and I get in the spot. She didn’t even say two words. It was all hand motion and of course eye-rolling. I get in the spot, she gets back in her car and I enjoy the rest of my afternoon in Target.

“she’s a pretty girl”

No comments:

Post a Comment