Wednesday, June 30, 2010

are ju married?

I don’t know if my single friends can relate to this, but in a week, how many times are you asked the question in some form or fashion, “Why aren’t you married yet?” I mean seriously, how are you supposed to really answer that?

  • “Ummm…not feelin’ it right now.”
  • “Ask God, see what He says.”
  • “Loser isn’t really my style.”

And to quote my cousin, which literally made me laugh out loud, and you may not understand, because our family is a little weird, some might even say sick and twisted:

  • "I love that question (said with much sarcasm). As if you're supposed to have a reason. Ridiculous. Actually, you should come up with some entirely off the wall response like, 'Because I eat rocks.’ or ‘Because there hasn’t been a full moon on my birthday yet!’ If they ask for an explanation, just shake your head, sigh, and say, ‘You wouldn’t understand.’"
I mean, it’s not a, “I want your pity” thing, I’m quite fine where I’m at in life. But I think society thinks if you’re not married by a certain age there must be something wrong with you. Believe me, I’ve had my doubts about myself too…but at the end of the day…you have to believe God has a bigger plan in all this and there’s a reason. And thank God I didn’t get married when I thought I was ready and to who I wanted to marry…Geeze Louise…I’d be in the loony bin by now.
I know I’m not the only that must get annoyed, even MSN put out an article, 19 Things You Should Never Say To A Single Person. And if it’s on the internet, it’s legit! This list included several lovely one-liners that I know we all have heard over the years:
  • “There are more fish out in the sea”—really, am I just frequenting the Dead Sea???
  • “It happens when you’re not looking”—yeah, I call BS on that one…because I’ve met some real winners when I wasn’t looking. And by winners…I mean losers.
  • “Have you tried online dating?”—oh yes, because online is where people are really honest about themselves.
  • “But you’re so pretty, why don’t you have a boyfriend?”—is that code for, “it must be her personality.”
I mentioned in my previous post that I had a little chat with Maria at McAlister’s last week. She is seriously one of the sweetest people you will ever meet. Although I’m kicking myself for not taking Spanish in high school—I chose French. Really, Ashley?!? So I walked in on Friday, keep in mind I had just come in town from a business trip late Thursday night, so on Friday, I chose super casual day. We always have jeans-day on Friday, but this time around I went for the jeans and flip-flops route. I know…I know…don’t judge me too much. I walk in and she comes and gives me a big hug and seemed surprised to see me dressed liked that.

Ash-a-ley, you look so jung! I harley recnize ju! I mean, so jung! Ju look, I don’t know…so jung! How old are ju?
(laughter) I’m 30
(gasp) Oh my guudness…ju don’t look 30…ju look so jung! Are ju married?
(laughter with cringing) Thank you, but no, I’m not married yet.
(bigger gasp) Ash-a-ley, ju hab to get married and hab chilren, NOW!
(hesitated laughter) I will, I will…
(puts arm around me) No, I’m serrus, ju hab to start habbing chilren…ju are on…well…men day can hab chilren till day are like 80…but ju…no…ju hab to soon. (now has gone off into fully speaking Spanish)
(not making eye contact, uncomfortable with long-lasting side hug) Yes, I know, I know…it will happen.
Ju cannot find a good man?
(now feeling the need to fully embrace her and wimper) No, no I can’t Maria…
It will happen…jes…dis I know…in my hart ub harts…jes…it will happen for ju.

(now fully embracing) Thank you Maria! Thank you! Yes, yes it will!!!!

Hang tight my friends…and I pray you find a Maria to encourage you today! Even if you’re married or single. We all need a little encouragement sometimes! : )

8 comments:

  1. Seriously LOVE this...and you too of course. Ol' Maria would roll over and die if she knew how old I was and still single. She might even get me a stretcher!! haha!! So fun to read this!

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! Ju made me laugh out loud!!!!! I love your sarcasm ... And by winners…I mean losers.

    I'm so glad that THIS time you felt encouragement. I know all too often it's NOT encouraging. Just remember, I have some boxing gloves ready for you when you need them. ;-)

    And I just have to say ONE more time, you are an amazing writer!

    LOVE YOU!
    Stacy

    ReplyDelete
  3. Fantastic! Maria makes me smile. Ashley, you make me laugh! I love to read what is going on with you. But we really should get together sometime soon!

    P.S. I'm honored to be a part of this post :-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. haha...thanks Kym! :)

    Stace...you have NO idea how much that means coming from YOU my magnificent writer and editor friend!!! LOVE YOU TONS!

    Mags! I miss you so much and want to see you very soon!!! I'm oh so very glad to have you be a part of this post...you are what triggered it! :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Absolutely loved this. Went from laughing to some tears to laughing again. God's plans for us are the best ones. So stay encouraged!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well I agree with Kym above...Maria might need to get me a stretcher too....or a wheelchair might work! ;-) I'd like to know why some think it's NECESSARY to be married at all? What's wrong with serving the Lord as a single gal your entire life? Don't get me wrong...I'd love to be married and have kids, but not if it's not the perfect plan for me...and at 32 I'm thinking it's not! I'm perfectly content at this place in my life and I think THAT'S what's most important.

    On another note...I'm glad your blog is finally letting me comment! I laugh every time I read it. I miss you girl!!!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi. I came across your blog through another blog I follow and have signed up as a follower. When you’re free, please do visit me and let me know what you think of my blog and leave a comment. If you like, do follow as well. I am always open to great new people and interesting websites. Look forward to hearing from you.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh...and Ashley, "why ju not married yet?" lol

    ReplyDelete