Saturday, January 15, 2011

Great-grandmothers and gingerbread cookies

I never had the chance to meet my great-grandmother but word on the street is I might be just like her. Growing up, no one could really place who I looked like – yes I’m a mixture of my mom and my dad of course (no adoption story here) – but I have some unique characteristics that no one could really place – mainly the shape of my eyes and most definitely my big lips (LIPS not HIPS…thank you very much :) - Lord knows where those came from?!).

At some point in college, while I was visiting my grandparents, my grandfather pulled out a large picture of his mother and we were all floored – “SHE HAS YOUR EYES…AND YOUR LIPS!!!” Maybe that means nothing to you, but it finally made me feel like I had a connection to someone in the past that I never knew, yet looked just like. I find genes very interesting. On my dad’s side of the family, we have cousins that look more like our siblings than our own siblings – very, very interesting yet so weird.

Anyways (I promise I will make this come together) – I purchased my very first cookbook about two months ago (GF/SF of course), and one of the recipes was Gingersnap Cookies. My mom LOVES gingersnaps, so I thought I’d attempt it. In the process of changing out some of the ingredients – they turned out more like Gingerbread – meaning they didn’t have the snap to them (which I personally think is better) – they rather melted in your mouth. I brought the new creations over to my parents, who also get a bit nervous when I say, “Here, try this!” – but, as all good parents do, they always try. My dad is the barometer, because if I can make him believe it’s the real deal (tastes like it has sugar and real flour) – that means anyone will love it. (Side note: when I told my dad I had bought a cookbook – his exact words were, Who are you and what have you done with my daughter – see? Told you, freak of nature.) So when he tried the cookie, and his eyes rolled back in his head (in a good way) – I knew it was a success! Then he said, “Oh my gosh, this reminds me of the care packages my grandmother used to send me in college!” So it seems, not only do I look like her, but I have channeled her baking skillz! : ) So far, any party I bring them to, I always go home empty-handed, so I thought I’d share them with you…you be the judge.

Here’s the fancy – shmancy recipe – hope you enjoy!

  • 1 Cup Canola Oil
  • ½ tspn Salt
  • 3 T Black Strap Molasses
  • 2 T Vanilla
  • 1 ½ Cups Agave Nectar (dark)
  • 3 T Stevia and/or Palm Sugar (add more to taste)
  • 3 Cups Nameste Perfect Flour Blend
  • 3 tspn Cinnamon (add more to taste)
  • 2 T Ginger (add more to taste)
  • 1 tspn Baking Soda
  • 1 tspn Baking Powder
  • 1 Egg
  • 1 T Cold Water (helps the oil and ingredients hold together)

Preheat oven to 325

Line pan with parchment paper or use Canola Oil cooking spray - I have done it both ways and I personally LOVE parchment paper - not messy at all!

In a medium bowl combine the oil, salt, black strap molasses, vanilla, stevia and agave nectar. In another medium bowl, whisk together the Nameste flour, cinnamon, ginger, baking soda and baking powder. Then carefully add the dry ingredients to the wet mixture and stir until grainy dough is formed (note that it will be a bit sticky, so recommend using a rubber spatula to stir) – then add the cold water.

Before you add the water you might want to add more cinnamon, stevia/agave/palm sugar and ginger – depending on taste. I have a bit of a sweet tooth, so I like things sweeter, which is why I use a mixture of agave nectar (wet ingredient), stevia (powdered ingredient) and palm sugar (granule ingredient - works just like brown sugar). Also, if you’ve never baked with Stevia before, take note that it can turn sweeter after cooking.

Using a spoon and /or rubber spatula, scoop the dough onto prepared baking sheets and bake for about 20-30 minutes (depending on your oven).

Take out and set on rack or wax paper and let cool…but not too long because they are quite tasty warm.

Be sure to put in air tight container – and note that they won’t last longer than about 3-5 days because it’s all fresh ingredients (no preservatives).

Here are some pictures from my cousin’s recent wedding photobooth with some of my fam – including a picture of my grandparents – wish I had a picture of my great-grandmother (his mom), but unfortunately I don’t.

Hope you have a fabulous week – I’m headed to take down my Christmas tree…I figure January15 is a good day to do that.

.

1 comment:

  1. Enjoyed the post a lot!!! I bet the cookies were delicious. Thanks for the recipe! Where do you get Agave nectar? I read a recipe on another blog that used this. Loved your pictures too. :)

    ReplyDelete